This nutritious family staple is too easy to not make at home. I make the recipe even simpler by using a slow cooker – by late afternoon you’ll have a fragrant, steaming soup that just needs some cooked brown rice and you’re done! I like to use boneless, skinless cuts of chicken to keep the fat down.
You can use red potatoes instead of rice, if you like. Cut them into 1-inch chunks and add in the beginning so they’re tender when it’s time to eat.
You’ll be seeing more slow cooker recipes from me soon!
Slow-Cooker Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1 1/2-2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced (including top leaves)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Place the chicken breasts in a 6-7 quart slow cooker. Add all ingredients except rice, cover, and cook on low 6-7 hours.
Remove bay leaves and onion. Shred chicken. Add rice and stir; top with chopped fresh parsley if you like. Enjoy!