I think most everyone has made the “Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie” recipe on Bisquick’s website. It is impossibly easy. But it is also begging for improvement!
Here’s my version adapted from the original. For one, there’s not nearly enough cheese! Greek yogurt and Velveeta cubes add depth (just go with me on the Velveeta here. It’s good.).
I also use the leanest beef I can so it’s less oily (that would be the cheese’s fault).
Read on for the recipe.
Lauren's Cheeseburger Pie
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90/10 or leaner)
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 3 eggs
- 6 ounce container Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (or 1 cup if omitting the yogurt above)
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Velveeta, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup gluten free Bisquick (or use regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Brown the onion and beef in a skillet until cook through; pour into 9-inch greased pie plate or square baking dish.
Top with the shredded Cheddar; spread the Velveeta cubes evenly over the top.
Whisk the milk, yogurt, garlic powder, eggs and salt together. Slowly add Bisquick, whisking to combine. Pour the mixture over the top of the meat and cheese. Top with more Cheddar if you like.
Bake about 25 minutes until top is browned and quiche is set. We love this quiche with fresh steamed green beans – enjoy!