I decided it was time to introduce my daughter to curry. Hubby wasn’t so sure.
I was determined, I tell you. I’d make something she’d love!
Pulling inspiration from the usual beef-and-rice mixture that often goes in bell peppers, I decided on ground turkey and brown rice!
I was that person at the grocery store that I usually can’t stand…the one putting his or her hands all over ALL the vegetables. Well…in search of 6 giant bell peppers that could also stand up on their own, I spent at least 15 minutes rifling through all the different colors. But in the end I had 3 pounds of beautiful peppers!
So I am totally unapologetic.
Bell peppers are full of fiber and a willing, edible receptacle for whatever your mind can think of putting in them!
I also snuck in extra protein with the Greek yogurt. I do this a lot, substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream in a recipe, like my quiches. No one ever knows.
Curried Turkey & Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 6-8 large bell peppers, any color (about 1/2 pound each before hollowing out)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked rice (brown or white)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 5 tablespoons (3 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 ounces Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth or water, divided
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice off the tops of the peppers and remove white parts and seeds. Set aside.
Add oil to pan; saute onion and garlic 5 minutes. Add ground turkey and cook until it just begins to brown.
Add tomato paste, yogurt, spices, 1/2 cup broth or water, and cilantro. Cook until turkey is browned.
Add cooked rice, and enough water or broth to moisten if needed.
Fill peppers with rice and turkey mixture and place in a baking dish. Add enough water or broth to cover bottom of pan, and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 35 minutes.
Remove foil, top with cheese and bake another 5 minutes. Enjoy!