This is a super flavorful, easy side dish that gets your veggies and starch all in one!
But it’s great with all sorts of Spanish dishes. Buy low sodium or no sodium added canned vegetables and rinse and drain them well to cut out excess salt. Try topping with cheese, fresh cilantro or sour cream!
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (do not use instant cook rice)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can low sodium sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of garlic powder
- salt to taste, if desired
Mix all ingredients in a pot; bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes (use your rice’s cooking instructions as a guide)
Serve with cheese, cilantro or sour cream. Goes great with my adobo chicken, or alongside enchiladas or tacos. Enjoy!